Gateway to the North
Gawler is a semi-rural town in South Australia and known as the gateway to the North
It’s situated between the hills and the sea, 42 km north of Adelaide. The population of 26,000 is small by international standards, but South Australia is a sparsely populated state with 1.7 million residents and 1.4 million living within an hour’s travel of the capital city of Adelaide.
SA is approximately 5 times bigger than England and it’s bigger than Texas. Gawler is one of the larger towns within the State.
[Murray Street image taken from Flickr and used under the Creative Commons license. Original image can be viewed here]
The change between seasons is very distinct with dry hot summers and brief but comparatively cold winters with random and often low rainfall. It’s predominantly an agricultural and mining State, with vineyards, fishing, crops, sheep & cattle & small but significant mining towns to the north & west of Adelaide.
As the State is so dry, instead of timber, many early homes and influential buildings were constructed of bluestone or sandstone, providing distinctive architecture.
Gawler has an abundance of these buildings both within and nearby the main street (Murray St). SA was settled by Europeans in 1836 and was the only State that did not have convict settlers.
Gawler was specifically designed by Colonel William Light (who also surveyed/designed Adelaide and Christchurch in New Zealand), who unfortunately died in 1839 and the work was completed by William Jacob.
Church Hill, as the name suggests has 3 old stone churches, plus many old stone cottages & the magnificent Gawler Primary School. At the northern end of Murray St is Clonlea Reserve with its magnificent high red river banks along the North Para River.
Lesley’s of Gawler is at 98 – 100 Murray St, Gawler, SA, 5118.
In the main street there are plenty of options for food including 6 pubs & multiple coffee shops.